[Jacob-list] Re: Salivation

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Wed May 25 16:19:47 EDT 2005

I think the comment on the sheep eating the lawn and dying was more about herbicide or insecticide.   I've received some personal emails on this topic.  Seems like other people are interested and I'd like encourage listers to respond to the list on this - with any thoughts or observations.  I'm interested in the answers to Victoria's questions, too.

I'm just greatly relieved that my ewes are back to normal this morning.  I feel certain that the problem was something I did or failed to do.  I have some ideas, but no real conclusion.  I don't think I should have put the ewes on recently fertilized grass, although I used alot less than the recommended amount.  When I have to fertilize by carrying the bag up and down the hills, I tend to quit early :-).  I have used chemical fertilizers before with no problem and the sheep did have access to that area for last few weeks.   Confining them to that area, taking their lambs, and cutting off their grain may well have been a formula for disaster.  Then again, it may not have anything to do with it.  There is the question of laurel leaves and another suggestion of ewes eating from the abundant spring fungi crop that we've all got going this time of year in the SE.

Interesting that you would bring up manure.  Using chicken litter can cause nitrate poisoning (I know you were talking about old manure) and has caused problems on some neighboring farms.  In surfing the web looking for information, I came across a notation that 2,4 D herbicides can cause foaming at the mouth and other serious symptoms.  I definitely did NOT apply any herbicides.  I brought it up because it's widely believed in my area that it's perfectly safe to use 2,4 D herbicides in livestock areas.

Linda

What's New at Patchwork Farm?