[Jacob-list] question on horns

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri May 6 08:20:17 EDT 2005

Ahhh ..  well, thanks.  It's really clear now.. well, not exactly.  My head is genetically dense.

What confuses me is that I know it is entirely possible for a four horned ewe to have strong, 'true horn' uppers and weak, loosely attached 'scurs' as laterals.  That ewe is phenotypically horned and scurred. I believe the term "scurred ewe" as used by JSBA refers to a ewe that has nothing but scurs, rather than a ewe with only lateral scurs, so maybe I should say phenotypically 'horned, with scurs.'  Since the scur genes and the horned genes are on different chromosomes, I assume it would be possible for a sheep to be homozygous for both horned and scurred.  In this circumstance, would (could) the scurred gene act as a modifier on the horned gene in some way?  Yeah, I know the question can't be answered in simple terms and I know I'm ignoring alot of other factors trying to find a simple answer.   From my own observations, I tend to think the weak, scurred laterals are more an indication of the hornless gene (if I am going to totally ignore any environmental factors, which I am).

Linda

Visit our new babies!
http://www.patchworkfibers.com/2005lambs.html