[Jacob-list] question on horns

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 15:05:49 EDT 2005

Linda and all,

My memory of the vast majority of ewes presenting with well-attached top horns and weak/small laterals also includes some other traits I don't really like such as extra wool on the head (up to but behind the horns) and "tippy" top horns.

By "tippy", I am referring to the more bent top horns.  Sometimes the bend is forward, sometimes away towards the ears in an arc.....but not straight or close.

Could you go out and look at your flocks and see if this configuration is more prevalent among listers?  This is just my overall "mental picture" I think of when thinking of the ewes with crappy laterals.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool