[Jacob-list] question on horns

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri May 6 05:35:23 EDT 2005

It is impossible for a sheep to be genetically different on one part of the head from the other. It may be useful to keep in mind that traits that are affected by only one gene are rather rare. For example: the size of an animal is affected by thousands of genes whose effects are additive. This makes it relatively easy to predict the size of an offspring based on the phenotype of the parents. This is a trait with high heritability. Blue eyes vs. brown eyes in humans are also easy to predict because the trait is influenced by one gene (you hazel eyed people don't exist, go away).

So, horns are influenced by different loci on a variety of chromosomes:
* Horn vs. dominate polled
* Horn vs. recessive polled (I don't know if the dominate and recessive polled are at the same locus)
* Horn vs. scur, which may share a locus with polled
* Sex-linked hornless (Shetlands) which must be on the X or Y chromosomes
* Testosterone production and testosterone receptor genes
* A couple thousand "size" genes
* Physical blood flow impairment to the lateral horns due to the dominance of the primary horns

Glad I could clear this up for you!

Neal