[Jacob-list] breeding ewe lambs

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 10 16:57:07 EST 2005

I've been trying for 7 years NOT to breed ewes as lambs, but every year
it happens one way or another (through the fence, ram jumps over the
fence, or one of those "smart" Jacobs figures out how to open a gate).
I've never noticed any size difference in my ewes that have been bred
as lambs, they seem to nurse their lamb and continue to grow to normal
size. The few lambing "problems" I have each year are usually with the
first timers (last year, one stillborn from a ewe bred as a lamb and
one stillborn from a ewe bred as a yearling). I've pulled a few large
lambs from first timers, more often they were ewes bred as yearlings -
ewes bred as lambs seem to have smaller babies (hence the higher infant
mortality rate?). I give up.. if they breed the first year, fine, if
they don't, that's fine, too.
  I've never had a Jacob ewe reject a lamb. I have grafted other lambs
onto Jacob ewes (once a first timer with a stillborn lamb took a
neighbor's romney cross, another time, a Jacob ewe lost her lamb to a
coyote and raised a much older churro lamb for me. I chose to
supplement a twin born to an old ewe who didn't seem to have enough
milk for both (the lamb stayed with her and did get some nourishment
from her).
Just my two cents,
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm