[Jacob-list] Breeding Ewe Lambs

Unzicker runzicker at erols.com
Wed Mar 9 08:38:40 EST 2005

I have always bred some of my ewe lambs to lamb as yearlings.   As far as productivity goes, I have read several times that breeding ewe lambs tends to make that ewe more productive over her life span.  I think that is more important for commercial breeders than for the average Jacob breeder.

As Betty says, it seems logical that it is better to wait until the ewe is fully developed.   But as Mary Ellen said, I have seen no difference in adult size.  I do feed grain to those ewe lambs from creep to the time I wean their lambs.   I have never had a yearling reject a lamb but I have had adults reject.  Have one as I speak that I would give someone a VERY good deal!!!!!    My yearlings deliver lambs that are just as big as my other ewes for the most part.   I do notice that yearlings sometimes appear a bit more nervous at lambing and seem to not be sure what to do or if thay want to put their tongue on the yuckie little critter.  But if I leave the barn and mind my own business, their mothering instincts have always come through.

Two years ago I had a 4.5 twin born.  She was beautiful in every way and I kept her.   I did not intend for her to get bred as a ewe lamb but one of the ram lambs also thought she was beautiful and jumped two gates to get  to her.  She delivered a healthy 6.5  lb  lamb at 12 and one half months.   I wouldn't recommend that but it happened.  That  ewe is smaller.  Not sure if it is because of her small birth weight and/or her lambing as a yearling.  I do not breed  ewe lambs that I intend to show as yearlings.  Although last year one did get bred.  I decided to show her any way.  Her lamb was three weeks old when I showed her at Maryland where she was named champion ewe.  She did well in the show ring the rest of the summer also.

Breeding ewe lambs does drag out the lambing season as the yearlings usually do not lamb until later than the "adult" ewes.  My feeling is that breeding ewe lambs is simply a matter of personal preference.  Royal