[Jacob-list] weaning lambs

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sun Mar 6 06:04:03 EST 2005

We have Jacob and longwool sheep in the same pasture, and I see little
segregation during the year. I suspect that it has more to do with
familiarity. If the animals are raised together, I suspect that they will
not segregate very much. On the other hand, Mary, those Shetlands can be
such prima donnas, maybe the Jacob sheep just don't want to be around them..

It is a good idea to convince small children that feeding the bummer lambs
is a good thing to do. I have found that after a few weeks, the lambs can be
fed twice a day and be left in the pasture. You will be charged at the gate
by the little jokers, and the milk disappears so quickly that it is not much
of a problem. They will learn to eat with the others, especially if you have
a way to creep feed.

Neal Grose