[Jacob-list] weaning lambs

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 6 05:27:57 EST 2005

Victor

Wean no earlier than 8 weeks, and lambs seem to do a
bit better even up to 12 weeks.  I do cut them back on
quantity after 8 weeks and work them down to nothing
by 12 when I have had bottle lambs.

Mothers in the field usually nurse through
approximately 4 months.

Lambs don't seem to care who their parents were as far
as how they interact with each other.  That said,
lambs to tend to take the dominance position of their
dam in the flock.

When I ran the Shetlands and Jacobs together, there
did appear to be racial prejudice in the flock.  In
fact, there was no doubt in my mind that there was
racial prejudice!  Jacob moms would not let their
lambs play with Shetland babies and vice versa.
Babies didn't care, but moms sure did.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm