[Jacob-list] Genetics?

Hobsickle at aol.com Hobsickle at aol.com
Sun Mar 6 07:08:15 EST 2005

The gene is not for 2 horns, 4 horns, or 6 horns, but for two horns or
multiple horns.  Technically, the gene is not even for horn number, but is  somehow
tied to migration of cells in the developing embryo.  For some  reason (that
I haven't found an explanation for) the gene causes some of the  cell masses
in the developing embryo separate improperly.  These cells are  the cells that
will result in the horns (and other parts of the skull--hence the  associated
split eyelids and notched eye orbits).  As the embryo continues  to develop
the separated cell masses grow back together so the skull is intact,  but the
horn buds don't quite make it back together (usually).

The gene is dominant in its cell mass slitting action, but sometimes the
masses don't split far enough to remain separated, thus growing back  together,
producing a two-horned animal.  (These two-horned sheep with the  multi-horn
gene often have a crease, line, etc., running longways through the  horn.)  This
explains why multiple horns usually appear to  be genetically dominant, but
sometimes seem to be recessive.   The "splitting cell mass" that was their real
action is never  seen.

Because the multiple horns are coming from the same amount of embryonic
tissue, each successive split results in smaller horns, though the splitting
appears to be somewhat random, so there can be evenly sized daughter cell masses
(and hence evenly sized horns) or unevenly sized masses.

I expect that there are probably genetic factors that determine how far the
cell masses split and how much they grow back together, but to my knowledge
the  factors have not yet been determined.  There may also be genetic factors
that determine how many pieces the cell masses divide into (4 vs. 6 horns), but
 those factors are also unknown to me.

-Dan