[Jacob-list] cervical plugs and such

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 5 16:36:17 EST 2005

Linda,

My most-used equipment during lambing season is my
children's baby monitor.  That little gift when Ian
was born (now 14) has never been NOT used.  First, it
was used for about 3 years with the boys, and then it
went to the barn on the advice of an experienced
shepherd from up north.  It has been out in all
weather and plugged in for 10 springs now.  It sits
out under the roof of my sheep shed, so it doesn't get
rained on, but otherwise is exposed to all the
humidity elements.  It works as well as it did the day
it was gifted.  You can find them in yard sales,
goodwill stores, etc.  My receiver sits by the bed
alerting me to any problems or moments of interest in
the barn nights.

Just so everybody can either snicker or
commiserate---My beautiful 4-horned Bullthistle Sage
has lambed within the last half hour.  She was bred to
Huntsberger Carl (4-horned ram) and appears to have
produced 2 ram lambs that will be 2-horned.  This is
the sort of "luck" we have at ISeeSpots Farm when we
put 4-horned with 4-horned animals.  She created a
2-horned ram with Huntsberger Hunter (2-horned) last
year that Chris Brantley purchased.  Ahhh....the joys
of ewes who produce consistent offspring!

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool