[Jacob-list] Lambing begins!

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sat Mar 5 15:42:52 EST 2005

Lambing started here this morning.  Despite the rush to get the new barn ready for lambing, RubyBelle decided to lamb in the old cattle panel hut.  First to arrive was a lovely lilac ewe.  Then a rather unimpressive ram.  Many of the ewes are also due now.  Four of them stood around making the humming and cooing sounds along with RubyBelle. After convincing RubyBelle that she was going to the new barn, I went to get a cup of coffee.  And came back to find a very nicely marked ram lamb had joined the twins (guess they are triplets now)! We've had triplets a few times before, but this is our first set of Jacob triplets.  All three were up and nursing quickly and RubyBelle is aware of each one (she can count to three, I guess).  Moments later, Shamrock delivered Chicory Lane's Chancellor's first lamb - a prettily marked ewe lamb.  Six days ago, Shamrock passed the cervical plug. Years ago, I had a ewe pass the plug and then lamb normally 60 hours later.  I was getting abit worried about Shamrock, but she showed no sign of distress, didn't have a fever, ate normally.  The discharge was normal, although early, had no terrible smell.  I checked the Lawson book, but felt that jumping in and manually dilating the cervix as the book suggested wasn't called for at that time. I admit to a big sigh of relief as I carried her healthy newborn lamb up the hill this morning.  Actually, it might not have been a sigh, more like panting - it's a very steep hill!

Linda
www.patchworkfibers.com