[Jacob-list] flock management software for macs

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 19 11:38:36 EDT 2005

Jacob fiber shouldn't have much luster. Luster is usually stated as
low, medium or high.  For crimp, spinners use a per inch measurement.
Lay out a lock of fiber and count "bumps" in an inch. Jacob fiber is
often hard to count as the "ideal" Jacob fibers should be
individually crimpy, but should not lay together in a  uniform wavy
lock. You might have to pull out just one fiber, to count, usually
7-9 crimps in an inch. Compare some of your Jacob locks of fiber to
Romney  (usually about 5 crimps per inch) or a long wool like Lincoln
or Border Leicester (high luster, about 3 crimps per inch).  I have a
couple of Jacobs whose fiber is 32-34 microns, 5 crimps per inch,
nice wavy locks - and I have customers who buy them every year for
hand spinning. Finer (28-30 micron), individually crimped fiber, is
usually shorter, hand spins to finer yarn, takes a more advanced hand
spinner to appreciate. Most of these fleeces, I send out to be
processed into two ply yarn, at 14 wraps per inch (wrap the finished
yarn around a ruler, count how many times you can wrap it around in
an inch, there is obviously room for error here). 10 wraps per inch
is worsted weight, 12 wpi is DK weight, 16 wpi is fingering weight
(for socks and baby garments), 18 wpi is lace weight (these are
general guidelines used in knitting instructions).
I think Jacob wool makes the best socks, and I like my socks just a
little heavier than the norm. I can also use 14 wpi yarn for light-
medium weight sweaters, color work (like fair isle) and for blanket
or jacket weaving.
Hope this helps.
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fiber Farm