[Jacob-list] Ivermectin dewormer

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 19 01:26:31 EDT 2005

--Linda wrote:
>I use ivormectin injectable, given orally. It's the easier to measure
precisely and I think it comes out cheaper than buying the horse paste.
>That may be because I'm always sticking the horse paste tube in my pocket
without a top and forgetting it's there until it all squishes out.
-------
I found some interesting information about Ivermectin.  I wrote previously
that I thought there was an Ivermectin injectable (SQ, subcutaneous) that
is specific for sheep.  Looks like I was wrong, it isn't approved for
sheep.  However, many vets recommend that it be given orally.  It also
might be cheaper than buying the white paste labeled for horses.  One
comment was that the Ivermectin given as an injectable (shot) takes some
time to reach effective levels and then lingers at sub-therapeutic levels
and can bring on resistance to the drug fairly quickly.  Also, another
comment was that the Ivermectin is needed in the gut to insure a proper
dose to the worms so giving it orally is better than injecting it.
Finally, Valbazen drench is half the cost of Ivermectrin drench, but not to
be used during pregnancy.
It is best to discuss all this with your vet.
Cathy Partridge
Moscow, Idaho