[Jacob-list] Selective breeding and sudden death of ewe

Sharon Hill sharonehill at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 13:12:47 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I haven't posted in a while, but I still have my Jacob
sheep.  I have a couple of comments and questions now,
and I hope someone can help me.  My favorite ewe,
(this was Dixie, Linda) suddenly died a couple of
nights ago. She was fine when I went in to feed
everyone.  I puttered around in the yard while they
were eating.  Ten minutes later I looked in on the
sheep and she was lying there dead.  She was current
on vaccinations and worming.  She had 2 lambs whom she
was in the process of weaning, and she was pretty
thin, although she has always been thin.  Other than
that, she seemed to be perfectly healthy. The only
thing I can think of is that she choked on her grain.
Does anyone have any other ideas?  I am very upset
about this as she was my first Jacob and special pet.
Her lambs are my favorites too.

My other comment is on the selective breeding
question. I haven't been registering my sheep for a
couple of reasons.  One is laziness and another is I
question the subjective quality of some of the
requirements for registration, at least in one of the
registries. For example:  Dixie was a registered ewe.
>From 2 different rams, both of which came from
registered stock, she has twice given me a pair of
lambs, one ewe and one ram.  Each time, the ewe lamb
has been beautifully marked.  Lots of color and
patches in all the right places.  The ram lambs have
each been very lightly marked.  They have small eye
patches, and black on the neck to the shoulders, and
then nothing.  No knee patches, white feet, just a
couple of small black spots near the shoulders.  They
are beautiful sheep with nice fleeces.  There is
nothing butt ugly about them, but I doubt they would
pass the registration requirements.  Are they
genetically any less a Jacob sheep than their twins,
who most likely could be registered?

Another point:  I have a lamb who is 3/4 Jacob and 1/4
Suffolk.  She is marked almost exactly like a Jacob.
She has the patches in all the right places.  She
"looks" more like the "ideal" Jacob than the 2 lightly
colored ram lambs, but she ain't no Jacob.

I realize that there are registration criteria other
than looks, but it is easy  to use the registry
guidelines for color and markings when making breeding
and culling decisions.  I like my light colored sheep,
but they are whethers and they are not in the gene
puddle anymore.  Even though I am not registering my
sheep at present, I am also making breeding decisions
on the way a Jacob is supposed to look.  Should we
question whether this is a good thing for the breed as
a whole?

Sharon Hill
Kingston, GA