[Jacob-list] Selective breeding

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Mon Jul 11 18:17:09 EDT 2005

You can count on me to maintain a gene pool of missing eye patches - just in case you want to add something 'different' when the trait has been lost :-)

Joking aside,  I don't think that diversity must necessarily include butt ugly (wonderfully descriptive term!) sheep.  I like pretty sheep.  I don't show sheep and don't really know much about what the judges are looking for in Jacobs.  Imagine it must be hard to agree on a show standard for such a diverse breed.  I raised and showed Quarter Horses for a number of years.  The different types of Jacobs can be pretty without being the same body/fleece/etc type the same way a QH can be pretty and so can an Arabian.

This topic started with a mention of missing eye patches.  Mary Ellen points out some less visible, but more important, traits that we shouldn't lose sight of.  Without hardiness, we're going to have a hard time working towards whatever our other goals are.

Linda
What's New at Patchwork Farm?