[Jacob-list] Selective breeding

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 08:51:09 EDT 2005

Cheryl (and all),

You are so right, and I am glad to see you getting a
chance (and TAKING that chance!) to see flocks.  It
definitely gives you a much broader perspective.

What concerns me greatly is a pattern I have
noted---which mirrors the experiences reported by the
breeders of the 1980's.....  There was WIDE diversity
in body shapes, sizes, freckling, spotting PATTERNS,
horn shape/number/conformation in the early sheep.
Offspring results were also a bit more random.  I am
guilty of cutting back on the diversity I talk about
just like many on this list.  Please don't
misunderstand.

I see a general shift toward flocks that are much more
uniform in appearance.  This shift is like the swing
of the pendulum on a clock with the wide variety being
the far left side and the "picture perfect Jacob
sheep" on the far right side.  The problem being that
after the pendulum moves towards the right, quite a
percentage of sheep diversity has been lost through
culling.  That diversity will be irretrievable.

I can tell you from experience that bringing in sheep
from "unknown" backgrounds is a risky, time-consuming,
and extremely expensive proposition.  It is derided by
even some highly influential breeders who cut their
eye teeth on some of the early American Jacobs.  I
believe that job is critical to the breed's future.

I don't want to see the Jacob become as disease-ridden
and survival-incompetent as many of the purebred cat,
dog, pet and livestock breeders have created.  These
problems were never intended by the breed associations
while selecting for the traits they thought "most
desireable" and "true to standard".

History can and will repeat itself when it is
forgotten and the lessons taught are not heeded.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool