[Jacob-list] Selective breeding and sudden death of ewe

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Jul 17 18:33:03 EDT 2005

Hi Sharon,

I'm really sorry to hear that you lost Dixie.  She was such a pretty girl.  I'm at a loss as to why she was always thin and her twin, Sunshine, was always fat.  I hope someone has been able to suggest reasons for her loss.  I've had some sheep choke, but they have always managed to spit up the particle.  I did have a rabbit choke badly once.  He ended up with particle pneumonia and died a couple of days later.

Light markings are not by themselves an indication of crossbreeding.  The JSBA standard does accept ewes as AC that have less than 15% color.  The Jacob is a black sheep with white spots and you certainly do see very lightly marked animals.    There are alot of other, more important (in my very, very humble opinion) traits that are more important to "jacobness".  Spots are just a part of being a Jacob.

Linda
What's New at Patchwork Farm?