[Jacob-list] No Eye Patch

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 08:15:08 EDT 2005

Hi,

This discussion started with my comment that I would
not sell (or likely even experiment with) a RAM with
missing eye patch.  I am sure there might be
extenuating circumstances where I might consider it,
but facial markings are a strong part of our picture
of the Jacob sheep---like the black over the shoulder
and down the neck like a neck scarf.

I have a ewe in the flock and one I plan to keep in my
small flock without an eye patch.  Charity has
produced 4 lambs to my knowledge---only 1 of whom has
been missing a facial marking (don't know background
of the sire of that lamb as the lamb was born on
another farm).  My yearling ewe missing the eye patch
came from a ewe without known parents but she has full
large eye patches.  I have only seen 1 lamb from this
ewe so can't make any judgments on what I am looking
at here.

Ultimately, the breeder must look at what their stock
PRODUCE and make judgments accordingly.

I have just seen light faces set up in flocks, and I
have known a wide range of breeders that inevitably
ask if a sheep has "such and such" a flock name behind
it when they see a white eye patch.  I probably have
my strong breeding preference for white eye patches
from the desire to never be in that sad position.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool