[Jacob-list] Hannah

rlynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Wed Jan 26 11:47:46 EST 2005

>My question: both medications are given by injection, but I really seem to hurt her when I give them.  I have tried both hips, and one shoulder, >all at different times.  The vet gave me an 18 gauge needle to use. She is so skittish and distrustful anyway that I hate to add to that by hurting >her every time she is caught.  Where is the best place to give an injection, and would a smaller gauge needle help?

Most injections can be given subcutaneously (unless you are told by your vet it should be intramuscular). The sheep may not like it, but it's much less painful than in the muscle. It is usually recommended now to give injections in the neck area. There is plenty of loose skin there, it is easier for one person to hold the sheep and give the injection, and you don't risk damaging better cuts of meat (for slaughter animals).

I use a 20 gauge needle for everything I can (vaccinations, BOSE, etc). It is less painful. But if the medication is thicker like LA200 or penicillin, it is easier to use an 18 gauge needle because you can inject the medication in much more quickly. I also change needles between every animal for every injection (50+ adult sheep + lambs). I didn't used to, but am taking to heart the idea about prevention is more cost effective than treatment. Anyway, now that I'm doing that I realize that it doesn't take very many injections for needles to become dull. A fresh needle goes through the skin a lot more easily.

Robin
Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA