[Jacob-list] Hannah

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Jan 27 20:06:45 EST 2005

I think that im is recommended when you need a "jolt".  LA200 (and probably any antibiotic) can be given sq and I do
that when I think it's called for.  From what I understand (and I sure could be wrong), im disperses the antibiotic
more quickly, while sq disperses it more slowly over a longer period of time.

I could not agree more about using new needles.  I used to hoard those old needles.  A friend of mine gave me 100 brand
new needles and syringes since she was not going to use them.  I splurged and used each needle only once.  Injections
were so much less painful for the sheep and less traumatic for me.  (I did sterilize needles between injections when I
was reusing needles, btw).

I've been giving sq injections in the neck area ever since I had to wear cf glasses.  Trying to see that tiny little
flap of armpit skin while bending over a wiggling lamb just didn't work as well as it used to :-)

Linda

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:47:46 -0800, rlynde wrote:

>Most injections can be  given subcutaneously (unless you are told by your vet
>it should be  intramuscular). The sheep may not like it, but it's much less
>painful than in  the muscle. It is usually recommended now to give injections
>in the neck area.  There is plenty of loose skin there, it is easier for one
>person to hold the  sheep and give the injection, and you don't risk damaging
>better cuts of meat  (for slaughter animals).
. I also change needles between every animal for every
>injection (50+ adult sheep + lambs). I didn't used to, but am taking to  heart
>the idea about prevention is more cost effective than treatment. Anyway,  now
>that I'm doing that I realize that it doesn't take very many injections for
>needles to become dull. A fresh needle goes through the skin a lot more
>easily.
>
>Robin Robin Lynde Meridian Jacobs Vacaville, CA www.meridianjacobs.com

http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
 Registered Jacob Sheep & Angora Rabbits