[Jacob-list] Hannah

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 11:10:41 EST 2005

Kathey,

If the shots are intramuscular, there is no "pain free" shot.  Having an extra set of hands to calm and HOLD the ewe while giving the shot can help reduce your stress.  Otherwise, my advice would be to get in, do the dirty work and then offer a treat.

Remember that sometimes we have to hurt to get better.  I have seen more damage done by people worrying about causing a little pain (and NOT treating as they should) than by simply digging in and doing the job and getting on with life.  Sometimes you have to stop and remind yourself what the consequences would be if you didn't treat.  In this case, they would probably be a painful and "slow" death.  If the vet was out, I am presuming he/she showed you how to handle injections and treatment of this ewe.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool