[Jacob-list] Hannah

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Wed Jan 26 09:11:54 EST 2005

Sunday night one of our ewes, Hannah, delivered a ram lamb, which died
shortly after birth.  The vet's diagnosis was dystocia (difficult labor).  She
retained the placenta, and was running a fever, so we've been giving her oxytocin
to help her push the placenta out, and an antibiotic. It was our first lamb of
the season.  (Also the coldest day of the year so far - 15 degrees in
Georgia!)  The placenta was discharged last night.

My question: both medications are given by injection, but I really seem to
hurt her when I give them.  I have tried both hips, and one shoulder, all at
different times.  The vet gave me an 18 gauge needle to use. She is so skittish
and distrustful anyway that I hate to add to that by hurting her everytime she
is caught.  Where is the best place to give an injection, and would a smaller
gauge needle help?

Thanks.

Kathey
Sweet Georgia Valley