[Jacob-list] HUGE Lamb!!!

kenleighacres at netzero.net kenleighacres at netzero.net
Fri Jan 21 13:38:14 EST 2005

Me again - When I wrote the earlier message I was guessing her weight and I was way off.  She actually weighs 16lbs.  Has anyone ever had this big of a Jacob lamb?  I am pleased when our big Commercial ewes have a 12 lb. lamb - nice and healthy, but 16 lbs. out of a Jacob seems a little strange.  All the rest of our lambs have been between 6 - 8 lbs.  All the ewes have been on pasture, hay, and a little bit of alfalfa.  Mom and lamb still seem to be doing ok.  The other strange thing about her is that she doesn't look like a new lamb - she looks just like our lambs born a couple weeks ago.  Is there a chance that she may have been in the womb longer than she should have been?  If this is the case, does anyone know what would cause this?

Take care - Shannon