[Jacob-list] Lambs

kenleighacres at netzero.net kenleighacres at netzero.net
Tue Jan 18 16:54:07 EST 2005

We have a few lambs - we started 12/22.  This is the earliest we have lambed and I have a question to throw out to the group.  We are seeing a lot more singles than usual.  I flushed the same as in past years - pasture and then 3-4 weeks before putting the ewes with the rams feed alfalfa.  Are we seeing more singles because of the time of year that we bred?  6 ewes have lambed and we have 8 lambs - 2 sets of twins and the rest are singles.  We have 2 boys and 6 girls - and lots of COLOR! 3 of the ewes that usually have twins had singles.  I just thought it was a little strange and was wondering if any of you have a theory.  We have 5 more Jacob ewes to lamb over the next couple of weeks, 3 Shetland ewes and ~45 commercial ewes to lamb.  I should have pictures of the Jacob lambs up on my website pretty soon.

Shannon Phifer
www.kenleigh-acres.com