[Jacob-list] De-horning facts

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 15:13:59 EST 2005

I, too, have had people ask if my Jacobs could be
dehorned before purchase. When I inquired as to the
reason, the potential purchase stated they were afraid
of injury from orns. I explained that if that was
their concern, they should consider a non-horned breed
of sheep, since the horns are part of what makes
Jacobs unique!

I have also had 4H parents express concern about my
children showing horned Jacobs at 4H shows (wool). I
asked why there were no similar concerns expressed in
the goat and cattle classes. HMMMMMM......

We now show both Jacobs and Shetlands (both horned
<grin>) and Border Leicesters!

Thanks for the info about cooling the animal - I'll
print that out and stick that in my 4H Leader's file!

Joy

=====
Joyce M. Thomas
Son Rise Farm & Rabbitry, Creedmoor NC
Hand spun yarns, custom knit & triloom woven items
www.shepherdofspots.com