[Jacob-list] De-horning facts

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 15:08:04 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/25/2005 11:22:20 AM Central Standard Time,
snielsen at orednet.org writes:

> I have a request for a couple of ewe weanlings when they come
> available, and the buyer wants them dehorned. I won't go into
> all the reasons I am instinctively against this, but I'd like
> to be able to give her some real information on why this is a
> bad idea.

Dehorning a Jacob is similar to removing part of the radiator from a car.
The basic function of horns is to act as part of the "temperature" regulation
system of the animal. A sheep selectively cools its brain through the carotid
rete (a resevoir of blood unique to sheep and cattle) which is a "junction" of
the jugular vein, carotid artery, nasal veins, horn veins and the sinus cavity.
 Without the horn arteries and veins (some of which are 1/4 to 1/2" wide at
the core base), cooling is limited to the nasal sinus cavity (the panting
reflex).

Fred Horak