FW: RE: [Jacob-list] Ewe lamb unable to stand

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 23:35:34 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/24/2005 10:54:20 AM Central Standard Time,
agf777 at earthlink.net writes:

> [...]

Eastern TN is generally considered a low to very low Se area.  You said that
you are supposed to have enough Se and never had a problem before.  Have you
ever had soil samples done? have you ever had your hay tested?  in fact feeding
alfalfa which is assumed to be a good hay may be a source of a problem (if
deficient in SE) and if you use a pellet with an anti bloating additive, you may
be reducing the absorbable SE even further.

If this is the only time this has occured, it is probably not an
environmental problem but I would get professional help at least to get a blood check for
Se in the lamb unless you know the soil and hay Se levels.  If lamb Se is low,
the vet can give you BoSe and will probably add some vitamins such as A,D,E,
etc. and treat it like white muscle disease.

You did not mention the age of the lamb, whether single or twin.  A twin is
more suseptible to problems; especially the "smaller" twin because it has fewer
placental caruncles.  It is probably to late to do anything now because the
placenta is thrown out, but, with the thrill of the lamb should come the agony
of looking at the placenta and the dark caruncle spots.  Stress at conception
can casue absoprtion or surviving problem lambs.

If this is a single, without placental evidence of "deficient fetal
nutrition", consdier birth trauma including a spinal injury.  A difficult normal
position birth, an "upside down" birth (head first), or an assisted birth that
causes trauma to the vertebrae behind the shoulder can pinch the leg nerve system.
Trauma may be the result of ewe behavior in "rousing" the new born; could
even be the result of a ewe butting a ewe during gestation.

Severe OCD (occipital condylar dysplacia) is a possibility but at this young
age (?) requires an Xray or necropsy to confirm.  OCD is common in Jacobs and
appears as a  familial defect (Univ of Missouri).

It is up to eadch breeder to determine to what lengths one would go to find
the cause of a congenital probolem.  The single problem with multiple probable
casues is often difficult to solve but solvable.  Vet pathologists don't
accept the vet that says "it just happens".

The Jacob has its fair share of congenital problems but the number problem
can be reduced by sharing information.  Most congenital defects are
environmental or trauma, most genetic defects are recessive breedings.

Fred Horak