[Jacob-list] white muscle

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Feb 25 09:12:30 EST 2005

I don't know about when lambs develop white muscle disease, but one consideration is that in cattle, selenium deficiency is a major contributing factor to difficult births and retained placentas. Where we know it is a problem, it may be worthwhile to supplement ewes in late pregnancy. Check with a vet for recommendations. Where you have a vet that says she knows nothing about sheep, tell your vet to pretend that sheep are small dairy cows. For nutritional needs, they have much more in common with dairy cows than with beef cattle.

Neal Grose