[Jacob-list] weak lamb

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Feb 24 23:01:43 EST 2005

It's OCD - occipital  condyle dysplasia (not sure of my spelling).  I hope Fred will jump in here.  Does it show up at birth to the point that lambs are unable to stand?  My (limited, I admit) understanding is that you see more drastic manifestations as the skull grows, further compressing the spinal cord.  I routinely save skulls to look at  as we had a sheep once that was iffy in his movements.   I've not seen any deformities.  Last spring, I lost (like Trisha) the most beautiful ram lamb we've ever had.  I took him to the vet hoping to save him.  The possibilities of what could have happened were staggering.  His best guess was oxygen depravation during lambing. Another possibility was toxoplasmosis.   But, we did have a problem with the premixed feed I used that year, so maybe it was nutritional.

I do think it's important to look for and document genetic problems - document being the key word.  And to share our failures as well as our successes.

Linda
www.patchworkfibers.com