[Jacob-list] weak lamb

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Thu Feb 24 17:30:30 EST 2005

Okay, Fred, help me out here: there is some condition, which is genetic, which has a "condular" in the middle of it, also something dogs have, having to do wi th some nerve pressing on some bone or vice versa in the neck area.  It will sometimes appear in jacobs, and manifests in weak front legs, and then sort of spastic movement, I think.  I've never had it but I have two friends who've had spastic lambs a couple of times, and I suspect this was part of the ACD or whatever it's called syndrome.  I may be stabbing in the dark, but I would guess it means that if you have a lamb like this with no clear symptoms of disease, and BOSE doesn't help, it may well be a genetic birth defect of this type and the prognosis is poor.  It may well run in certain lines: both these friends have related sheep, and both line breed pretty heavily.