[Jacob-list] Re: Jacob-list different lamb

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 07:26:34 EST 2005

Victoria,

I applaud your willingness to discuss the problem with your wether and I
read your comments with much interest.  It will be interesting to see how  many
other comments you may receive about this issue.  I've heard of too  many times
a "fault" appears that gets swept under the rug somewhere instead of  being
reported and tracked.

Although we conserve a wonderful breed, Jacobs are not perfect.   To be a
responsible breeder of any animal, it is just as important to  know and
understand the how and why of the reason these strange/rare  abnormalities occur.  To
avoid discussing them doesn't make the issues go  away.  If tracking and
studying certain traits and/or being able to trace  them to certain bloodline
combinations can prevent such things then I'm all for  it.

Take horses for example, in the American Paint Horse you do not want to
breed 2 horses of the overo pattern together because of the lethal white gene
result probability.  In Jacobs, certain bloodlines (and combinations) have  been
linked with lysomal storage disease.  It would only make sense that  other
possibilities have arisen and these types of preventable issues can be  avoided.
Of course, there may the case of "fluke" thing happening from  time to time
that isn't any type of genetic issue.

I think true responsible breeding comes from learning as much as  possible
about potential hereditary traits and avoiding those mating's  altogether.  Some
may even take it a step farther in culling but I tend to  disagree.  In my
opinion, avoiding active research and  discussion regarding faults in this breed
doesn't really do much for  true conservation efforts -- regardless of breed
or type of animal.

That's just my 2 cents -- again, I applaud you for opening a door of
discussion. -- Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)

Route 4 Box 726