[Jacob-list] Ewe lamb unable to stand

Countryfried40 at aol.com Countryfried40 at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 11:47:25 EST 2005

Has anyone here dealt with having a newborn lamb unable to stand up ?  I live
in E. TN.  and we are supposed to have enough selenium in the soil , and we
have never had a problem such as this before.

She seems alert, baas alot, struggles to stand but can't get her feet under
herself.  I've checked for broken bones , or a dislocation..... but nothing.
She will put some weight on her legs , if I  my hand in under her. Tries to
walk, but crumples to the ground in a heap soon afterward.

Has anyone dealt with white muscle disease ,and does this sound similar ?  I
have given 6cc of injectable dextrose(was reccomended) and milked some
colostrum out and mixed  it with milk replacer, to which she gobbled up.  Should I
wait , or maybe call the vet ?

Thanks,
Sherry