[Jacob-list] babies

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 04:05:59 EST 2005

Hi Linda and all,

Had first lambs within the last 20 minutes or so.  ISS
Inga didn't want supper last night, so I was on my
guard for her to go probably about midnight.  Nothing
was happening on the monitor until she woke me up
brawling away this morning about 3 am.

This would be the ewe that as a lamb brawled her way
from NC to MO to TX in a dog cage (with another ewe
lamb friend).  She eventually brawled her way from TX
back to NC in my old sheep trailer....

Anyway, I went out to see lots of noise and no real
effort.  I locked her in to her prepared lambing jug
and watched for about 15 minutes.  She finally laid
down and gave a few good pushes before getting
up---all to no visible change on the outside.  She, of
course, believed she had worked hard enough for all
babies to have been flung out.

I went in to make a pot of coffee and get her a pan of
water for when babies were born.  Noted monitor was
quiet---HUMMMM.  Bustled back out to find ram lamb
born and being cleaned off...OOPS.  Mis-judged that
one.  You can bet I didn't leave again!

Glad I didn't, as the second one came about 15 minutes
later.  As she was pushing, I maneuvered myself into
position to make sure head/front tootsies were
present....OOPS!  Tail and back legs....Over the side
I went, popped the sack, and pulled baby right out.

This is a case where I would have shown up to find a
dead lamb had I not been there to assist.  When the
rib cage exits the ewe, it expands.  That pulls
whatever is at the nose into the lamb's lungs.  If it
isn't air (as would be when head is hanging out of
ewe) and is amniotic fluid, lamb doesn't have a
chance.

Mom and babies are doing well.  This is the latest
start to my lambing season yet!  That makes 20-some to
go....

Proud dad is Huntsberger Carl.  Ram and ewe lamb (ewe
born last).  Both have missing eye patch, so will see
if that is a trait he aids or if the predominance
comes from Inga's side (her brother had a VERY light
face).  Other markings very nice on these lambs.

=====
Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool