[Jacob-list] worst lambing experiences topic

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 15:15:42 EST 2005

Hi,

My reaction to this topic is that it is one of the better discussed and more appropriate ones on the list.  It is the rare shepherd on this list that will EVER have to deal with any of these circumstances, and I think each shepherd bringing their own "worst experience" has been pretty clear about this.  The Jacob sheep is a very good lamber, there are very few complications, and very few rejections.

What every shepherd DOES need to know is that things do go wrong.  These are sheep and under our care, and that does mean CARE.  We shouldn't just walk away assuming things will be ok because they are "natural" and all of us know that "natural is always ok on it's own".  That just ain't so.

I had much more confidence with the few problems I have had because of a much worse scenario that had happened to another breeder who wasn't so bright.  [She bred her Jacob ewes to a commercial ram.....DUMB MOVE, and she had a vet bill, and a house-sitter that would never come back to her property because they had to go in and literally cut the lamb apart (already dead by the time the vet came) to get it out of the ewe who almost died.]  I learned from this shepherd's lack of knowledge without having to make that mistake and also being aware my problem was much less severe.

I recommend that new or less confident shepherds always have buddies to call in emergencies.  Get a list of people to call up when you have a crisis situation.  Having another ear and brain help tremendously.  I still call people after almost 11 years with these sheep and am not afraid to admit I have a lot to learn.  I have a whole list of poor schmucks that get to hear my questions (these same poor schmucks usually get lots of laughs from my experiences, so it is not all a loss).  I offer to talk people through worrisome experiences on a regular basis----all the while reminding them I am NOT a vet and when at all possible they should avail themselves of their vet's services and knowledge.  Every single person on this list has people contacts they could make.  Get phone numbers of people you feel comfortable talking with (of course from those individuals), and don't be afraid to use them.

Arm yourselves with books.  I repeatedly recommend Laura Lawson's Managing Your Ewe.  That book is the price of a very inexpensive vet farm call.....which has paid for itself probably 50-75 times at a minimum at my house alone.  The Merck Vet Manual is another great resource...got to weed through it.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool