[Jacob-list] Flying lambs

Robert May newjerseyjacobs at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 09:57:10 EST 2005

GOOD MORNING MARY ELLEN...

WOW, THAT ORDEAL WITH THE 4-LEGS...MUST HAVE BEEN
PRETTY SCARY!  I THINK THE IMPORTANT THING TO KEEP IN
MIND IS "NOT TO PANIC"...SOMETIMES EASIER SAID THAN
DONE...ESPECIALLY FOR ANY "NEW" SHEPHERDS OUT
THERE...AND TO KEEP AN EYE ON ANY EWE THAT SEEMS TO BE
IN "DISTRESS". DON'T BE AFRAID TO LIFT UP THE EWE'S
TAIL AND SEE WHAT IS GOING ON.

HAVE ANY OF YOU HAD PROBLEMS WITH PROLAPSES?  HAD A
JACOB EWE EARLIER THIS WEEK WITH A PROLAPS...ABOUT THE
SIZE OF AN ORANGE.  I CLEANED IT OFF AND GENTLY PUSHED
IT BACK INSIDE.  (THAT WAS ABOUT 9PM).  CHECKED AT
11PM AND SHE WAS FINE.  (WENT TO BED)  NEXT MORNING AT
6AM, SHE WAS PROLAPSING AGAIN...AGAIN I CLEANED HER
OFF AND GENTLY PUSHED THE PROLAPSE BACK IN. (WENT TO
WORK).  THAT EVENING WHEN I WAS FEEDING THE FLOCK I
NOTICED THAT THE SAME EWE WAS PROLAPSING
AGAIN...REPEATED PREVIOUS STEPS OF CLEANING AND GENTLY
PUSHING BACK IN.  FORTUNATELY, THE PROLAPSE NEVER
SEEMED TO GET ANY BIGGER THAN THE SIZE OF AN "ORANGE".

THE NEXT MORNING I WAS A LITTLE APPREHENSIVE ABOUT
GOING TO THE BARN...ESPECIALLY AFTER HAVING "LOST" A
LITTLE EWE LAMB WHO DIED SOMETIME AFTER I FED/CHECKED
HER AT 3:30 AM....YOU KNOW, "THEY" SAY THINGS HAPPEN
IN "TWOS AND THREES".  I WAS SURPRISED...EVEN A BIT
ESTATIC TO FIND THAT THE "PROLAPSING EWE" HAD
DELIVERED A SET OF TWINS!  LAMBS WERE FIND, EWE WAS
FINE!

LAMB COUNT HERE IS NOW AT 34 (HAVING LOST THE ONE
LITTLE EWE LAMB); 22 EWES AND 12 RAMS...I THINK WE'RE
ABOUT HALF-WAY THROUGH LAMBING.

REGARDS,
BOB