[Jacob-list] Flying lambs

Robert May newjerseyjacobs at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 10:06:18 EST 2005

GOOD MORNING LINDA...HAVING READY YOUR ACCOUNT AND
MARY ELLENS, I GUESS WE HAVE BEEN INCREDIBLY "LUCKY"
WITH OUR LAMBING EXPERIENCES.  I GUESS ANOTHER THING
TO KEEP IN MIND (ESPECIALLY FOR THE "NEW" SHEPHERDS
OUT THERE) IS THAT WITH EWES OVER 1 YEAR SHOULD
(TYPICALLY) HAVE TWINS.  IF, YOU HAPPEN TO BE PRESENT
WHEN THE EWE IS LAMBING...BEST TO STAY AROUND AND WAIT
FOR THE 2ND ONE TO ARRIVE.  IF THE EWE IS IN
"DISTRESS"...MIGHT NOT BE A BAD IDEA TO GO "INSIDE"
AND CHECK.

I WAS PRESENT THE OTHER DAY WHEN ONE OF OUR JACOB EWES
WAS LAMBING.  (THIS EWE, ONE OF MY FAVORITES) HAS
PREVIOUSLY HAD TWINS AND ONE SET OF TRIPLETS.  FIRST
LAMBED POPPED OUT JUST FINE (SO I WENT ON ABOUT MY
CHORES) CAME BACK ABOUT 20-30 MINUTES LATER AND THERE
WAS NO 2ND LAMB.  HUNG AROUND AND SAW THAT THIS EWE
"LADY JANET" WAS DEFINITELLY "IN LABOR" SO I WENT IN
THE PEN, LIFTED HER TAIL AND SAW "2 LEGS"...GAVE A
GENTLE TUG AND THE 2ND LAMB DROPPED OUT.  WHILE I'M
SURE THAT JANET WOULD HAVE PASSED THE 2ND LAMB
UNASISTED, SINCE I WAS PRESENT AND THINGS WEREN'T
PROGRESSING LIKE I THOUGHT THEY SHOULD, I DIDN'T
HESITATE TO "CHECK".  (BOTH LAMBS, AND "MOM" ARE DOING
FINE).

REGARDS,
BOB