[Jacob-list] Worst Lambing Event

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 10:12:36 EST 2005

Golly - ya'all make my worst lambing event seem tame!

Was a new shepherd - brand new! Older ewe (MEH - you
remember Cinnamon, don't you?) had given me a lovely
ewe. Arrived while I was at church came home to find
them. Figured gee, this is gonna be easy!! Two days
later saw a ewe in pasture in obvious pain and
distress. When I went outside her "come here now
shepherd" cry was distinct, even to my new shepherd
ears! Went out and saw her try to push - only ONE
hoof! Cleaned hands in house, grabbed "the blue book"
(Laura Lawson), emergency kit and my courage and went
back to pasture. STILL only one hoof - lubricated and
felt gently inside. Other front leg was bent back
where leg joined body, but bent at an angle at knee so
lamb couldn't get out. Was able between contractions
to straighten leg - not sure how. Once leg was
straight - out plopped the lamb - covered in orange
mucus (which I now know is a sign that it had been a
long and difficult labor). Ram was okay! Ewe was
relieved! I was a mess - literally!

WAS SO GLAD I had read the section on lambing
problems, highlighted certain areas and had an
emergency kit (lubricant, towels, aspirator for nose
and mouth of lamb) ready BEFORE incident.

That was about 4 years ago - have had no challenges
since. Learned one must be ready just in case!

Joy (who is eagerly awaiting our first lamb of 2005)

=====
Joyce M. Thomas
Son Rise Farm & Rabbitry, Creedmoor NC
Hand spun yarns, custom knit & triloom woven items
www.shepherdofspots.com