[Jacob-list] Stressful Start to Lambing

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Feb 18 09:30:09 EST 2005

Years ago, when we first started with Jacobs, we had a ewe who routinely
rejected one lamb out of a set of twins even though it was obvious that she
would clean it up and feed it first. I finally found that she was so
protective of the second lamb that she would fight off the first after the
second was born.

I grafted one such lamb on an old Jacob ewe by tying her up three times a
day and holding her to force her to let the lamb nurse. I finally tired of
this and turned her out and was going to feed the lamb by hand. "Nelly" came
back to the lambing shed and demanded to feed the lamb. I put them back
together and she allowed the lamb to nurse...but only after thrashing it
soundly...three times a day.

Neal Grose
North Carolina