[Jacob-list] reference books

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Fri Feb 18 22:58:16 EST 2005

 I have my old worn copy of Raising Sheep the MOdern Way, by Paula Simmons, which is really helpful for standardized breeds and a little off for primitive breeds, their needs being fewer and different.  I also love INgrid Painter's book just in terms of knowing more about jacobs.  And I have a SIDS reference, which I seldom use. I also have this positively hysterical British book by the "TV vet" which has advantage of actual photographs of sheep and lambs diseased and in the midst of problem births, and normal (all this gore is particularly helpful when entertaining 10 year old boys who are bored..focuses them right up!), but the funny part is the tv vet, who seems to do all his vetting barechested, which results in some strange photos indeed. (it's a "he" by the way...)...PUtting all the books together, I've been very lucky to have info on everything possible , which is helpful, even though I"ve not had to use much of it.  I  did use the funny book once, though, in the middle of the night with a vet who was unfamiliar with sheep, a difficult labor, and her wanting to call the head of the vet shop to come do a C-section.   I showed her the funny tv vet photos and his advice for what to do in the situation which seemed to be what my ewe was dealing with, she went to the car, got some stuff, drugs and such, and together we got the ewe contracting again, cervix dilated, and big lamb delivered.  So, it was worth it!