[Jacob-list] Stressful Start to Lambing

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at blueridge.net
Thu Feb 17 23:17:33 EST 2005

Our first lambs arrived early this morning...about 12 hours after the
moms were fed last night I'd guess.

When I took the dogs out this morning I head the very strong, unhappy
voice of a new lamb, but could not see anything unusual from the house.
 Once I got down to the sheep, I saw the new mom hovering over a very
good sized lilac lamb and then I heard the cry again.  Around on the
back side of the shed stood another very forlorn lamb wondering where
mom was.  Both lambs had been cleaned and both were relatively dry so
they had been on the ground a little while.

To make a long story short, mom was very satisfied with the lovely lilac
and really did not think she wanted or needed another baby to care for,
this being her first experience as a mother.  Today Peggy mentioned the
dazed and confused look of a first time mother, and this girl had it
written all over her face!  I spent the morning trying to keep her from
shoving and pushing the smaller baby away from her...all she apparently
wanted to do was hover over the favored child!  She did not want the
smaller one to come near the other lamb, but would allow it to try and
nurse some if she was in the "hover" position over the other lamb, so I
just hoped it was getting something / enough.

I left for work not feeling real good about what was going on in the
mothering pen, but hoped that when my husband arrived home in 4-5 hours,
he would find things improved.  Not so!  She was still doing a lot of
shoving and pushing, according to his report when he called me at work
at 7 p.m. so I was wondering what I needed to do next.

Things were much better when we went down to check a short time ago at
10:00.  Mom isn't making a fuss over the little one yet, but she was
making some mom sounds and at least allowing the lamb to come close and
huddle near....something she was not too keen on for most of the day.
 So, it looks like things are off to a slow, but good start after
all.....two new little ewes, very beautifully marked.  One close to 8
pounds and the other about 6....I wanted names starting with "M" so
"Maxie" and "Minnie" seemed very appropriate.  Bideawee Dane bred 5 ewes
before leaving here in October...these are the first of his babies, and
there will be more in the next few days surely!

Big sigh of relief here......

Cathy
Perfect Spot Farm