[Jacob-list] Flying lambs

Robert May newjerseyjacobs at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 15:14:01 EST 2005

HEY CATHY...MAYBE YOUR EWE WAS TRYING TO "AIR DRY" HER
LAMBS.  CAN'T SAY THAT WE'VE EVER SEEN THAT HAPPEN.
TYPICALLY THE EWES WILL BE PAWLING AT THE BEDDING OR
GROUND AND THEN LAY DOWN; GET UP; LAY DOWN; PAW SOME
MORE, ETC.  THE AMAZING THING TO ME...ESPECIALLY WITH
OLDER EWES, IS HOW QUICKLY THE LAMBS CAN ACTUALLY
COME.

HERE'S ONE FOR THE GROUP...WITH LAMBING TIME GETTING
IMMINENTLY CLOSE FOR MANY OF YOU...WHAT'S THE MOST
DIFFICULT (LAMB) DELIVERY YOU'VE EVER HAD TO ASSIST
IN.

ALTHOUGH (KNOCK ON WOOD) WE'VE NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH
JACOB LAMBS BEING DELIVERED.  I DID HAVE A HECK OF A
TIME WITH AN OLD DORSET EWE A NUMBER OF YEARS BACK.
EWE WAS DEFINITELY IN LABOR, BUT ALL THAT WAS COMING
OUT WAS A "TAIL".  I ENDED UP PUTTING A HALTER ON THE
EWE AND TIEING HER TO A STALL, WHILE I WORKED TO FIND
THE BACK LEGS AND GUIDE THE LAMB OUT.

ON ANOTHER OCCASION A EWE (NON JACOB) HAD THE HEAD OF
A LAMB STICKING OUT, BUT NO LEGS.  THE LAMB TURNED OUT
TO BE AN INCREDIBLY HUGH RAM LAMB.

HOW FORTUNATE THAT THIS "WONDERFUL" BREED NOT ONLY
HAVE GREAT MOTHERING INSTINCTS, BUT ARE EASY LAMBERS!

ANY SIMILAR STORIES OUT THERE?

REGARDS,
BOB MAY
SWAYZE INN FARM