[Jacob-list] Flying lambs

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 16:36:57 EST 2005

Bob,

Since you asked.....My WORST lambing story:

Jacob ewe delivering twins at age of 3 I think....

She was not progressing and not really acting like a
ewe in labor would be acting---no apparent pushing
after awhile, and just looked miserable.  Can't recall
if she had passed water bags initially for me to be
certain of labor, but there was SOME GOOD REASON.

Called vet...kept watching...nothing.

Eventually, I saw something---foot pointed the wrong
direction.  Sure sign of backwards lamb.

No progress.....

Went in and found FOUR BACKWARDS LEGS.....

Not only are there 4 backwards legs, but it took
forever to figure out which leg attached to which body
and belonged to the other leg without losing the first
one----and they were all at the same level.

BOTH LAMBS WERE DETERMINED TO BE FIRST (Isaac and
Jacob come to mind for anybody??).

I eventually had to get BOTH hands up in this poor
girl.  .... hold the one lamb back......dislodge him
from his brother......pull the first out.  Got that
one out, up and breathing.....Mom happier....Went back
in and pulled second lamb out.....never got that one
going.

That was THE WORST lambing experience I have had.  I
am so thankful any intervention is rare with these
sheep.

Second worst was when a ewe had a ram lamb that was
too big to come out unassisted.  She had given up when
I got home.  Called son.  Locked up ewe.  Son
(somewhere around 10 at the time) haltered ewe up and
hung on for dear life while I pulled and tugged, and
lubricated for all I had in me.  Got very happy and
relieved lamb and mom separated.  Both did well.

MEH

=====
Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm