[Jacob-list] Flying lambs

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 17 15:03:16 EST 2005

Anyone had this happen??
> While getting ready for the lambs to arrive in 2 weeks, I thought of last
year.  This dingy (crazy, odd) ewe did something very unusual during the
birth of her lambs.  I was watching her because she was pawing the ground,
laying down and getting up again, bawling her head off.   I knew (and the
neighbors) that the time for birth was imminent.  At the moment of birth
she jumped up from laying down and whirled around to look at her back end.
At that moment, a lamb went flying out of her, landing a few feet from her.
That lamb was about 2 feet up in the air initially and flew a few feet
before landing on the ground.  She did the same thing to the twin, only
that time the ewe whirled around in the other direction and the lamb landed
away from the first one.  I thought the lambs would be injured, but they
were just fine, they landed in some fresh straw I had put out.  How often
does this happen?  Do the lambs survive with no injuries?  They are tough
little critters.  If they could talk they would be swearing at their
mother.  I better start putting out the straw piles for this year.
Cathy