[Jacob-list] How do I lower a fever

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 20:37:14 EDT 2005

Hi,

Another point to remember is that you should double
check the sheep temperature as being abnormally high
with a healthy flockmate under the same living
circumstances.  This is especially important in the
summertime.

There was a time I had an extremely sick sheep.  Took
temp like vet wanted, and could never get that darned
sheep lower than something in the order of 104.5.
Finally, one day, I got smart and checked the
temperature of one of her flock buddies who was
healthy as a horse.  Her temp was also elevated.  It
was summer in North Carolina.

I have also rushed a ram lamb to a vet due to
overheating---only to discover that he didn't deviate
from his flockmates any.  My rushing him to the vet
probably aided in increasing his temp just from the
stress of it all.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm