[Jacob-list] Re: How do I lower a fever

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 16 14:14:12 EDT 2005

>What causes high temps and fast brething?  She is eating well and poop is
good condition she has been wormed.
>I think the breathing is due to the fever... how can I lower it?
=========
Check with your vet.  Many use Banamine (flunixamine) a flunixin meflumine
injection.  This is given intramuscular.  It is used as both a pain
reliever and fever reducer.  I gave it to my ewe when she developed
peritonitis from lambing.  She recovered.  It is available at the vet
clinic or can be purchased at a vet clinic store or online.   It is widely
used by sheep raisers.  Here is a blurb from the Banamine website:

Banamine brand of flunixin meglumine is the pioneer injectable
non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug approved for cattle in the United
States!

Banamine rapidly reduces the fever and lung inflammation that typically
accompany bovine respiratory disease (BRD). With Banamine as part of a BRD
treatment program, cattle feel better fast, and studies show they eat
better sooner and have fewer lung lesions than cattle treated with
conventional therapies.

Check with the vet first to find the cause of the fever, they also might
have some banamine to give you.  Hope it helps and the sheep recovers,
Cathy