[Jacob-list] Bats & other creatures

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Sun Aug 7 08:02:06 EDT 2005

WOW -- what a wide response to the bat issue across this list!

We have had our own "experience" with bats around our area.  In the  past two
years,  I killed one bat in the barn (sheep safety is first) after  it
proceeded to dive bomb them several times.  This year, one of our cats  chose to
bring me a "gift" one morning, as she does quite often.  Most of  the time, she
merely carries them alive and apparently unharmed to me drops them  at my feet
and promptly goes to the door to be let in.  I was quite  relieved to know the
bat was no longer living!

A few years ago, a co-worker had a horse acting weird -- this was a
miniature horse used in parades, costume stuff and the like.  This was a  pet she took
in from another farm that indicated he was current on all his shots  but had
no proof of such.  Since the symptoms he displayed (lethargic, not  eating
well) indicated he ill with something, my co-worker gave him various  medicines
per vet instructions over 2 days w/o improvement.  On the 3rd  day, the horse
was aggressively biting at them during any attempt to treat, feed  or water and
it died before the vet arrived.  He recommended to have the  horse tested for
rabies since he had no proof (certificate of vaccination)  of being
vaccinated.  The test was positive!  The State Office  went a step further at the
request of the vet & owner to try to determine  what species the bite came from and
it was discovered to be a bat.

Now I do not recall off hand the type of bat in this case but it WAS
something of a migratory nature -- it was not like a native species in our  area.  It
came, set up shop in the rafters of her 100+ yr. old barn to  reproduce and
left.  The owners were left with a strict 6 month quarantine  of ALL species on
their farm, bat removal expenses and the cost, discomfort and  requirement
for them to take rabies vaccinations.  I can't blame them for  not liking bats
at this point.

Not every shepherd or farmer can go to the expense of vaccinating every
animal they have for rabies.  In WV, only dogs and cats are required to  have the
vaccine once every 2 years (weird, b/c manufacturers only make 1 or 3  year
vaccine).  Livestock have no rabies requirements for vaccination  HOWEVER with
that episode occurring just days before I killed the dive bomber  bat in my own
barn, I elected to vaccinate my breeding flock that  year, the following year
and then once every 3 years afterwards.  The  horrors of having a 6 month
quarantine was almost unbearable and the amount of $  lost during that time far
exceeded the cost of the vaccines for us.

Mosquitos do cause a wide variety of diseases and I'm grateful to the bats
to helping us keep numbers down to minimums.  As long as they don't bother  me
& my critters, I can tolerate them.  After seeing a horse  with a case of West
Nile, I kind of had a slight change of heart towards  the bats.  For
mosquitos, its a kill them all theory!

I guess they would rank up there with opossums, raccoons and other vermin
(rats, mice, etc), which I strongly dislike!  I lost a horse to  EPM several
years ago and we were prolific in opossums then.  I  won't go into the long story
but, in short, EPM is also known as "opossum  disease" since they carry the
protozoa that causes illnesses in horses.   Now, we shoot them on sight.
Raccoons have recently chosen to try to  decimate my chickens -- we know its
raccoons, caught them red handed after  losing dozens of eggs and a few chickens in
one night.  We've killed 3  thus far and had a week reprieve -- until this
morning when we discovered 2 dead  chickens with missing heads and shell debris
on the floor.

For whoever mentioned the cat killing dogs (sorry, I didn't respond
personally) , I would have to agree with eliminating the dogs as well.  It  would be
heart breaking to think my own dogs could resort back to predatory and
destroying type behaviors but I would have to agree there would be no other  choice.
Hard decision at best -- my heart goes out to them.  Where do  you decide
what, when, how and why dogs suddenly go on killing sprees with  another species.
 I've said before, human safety retains a higher  standard over any other
species. I'm in the veterinary field, work with  animals daily and I still
believe in human sanctity of life being more  important.  Regardless of reason, one
must take all steps needed to  protect home and family.

Signing off with my own two cents worth -- Cheryl
Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits