[Jacob-list] Re: Mosquito battle (was: Good worming information) (Susan Nielsen)

Heather Hettick hettick1 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 22:38:57 EDT 2005

We got 13 feeder goldfish for a $1 this spring just for fun, and I haven't seen a mosquito larva in their/the sheep's tank yet.  I move one or two to other containers that I see wigglers in if I don't want to dump the water and one fish can clean out a bucket over night.  We lost two the first week and only one since when the llama stepped on it while standing in the water tank to stay cool.

The kids love them and they make cleaning out the water tank entertaining although more work.  I don't have to dump it as often to get rid of the mosquito larvae though.  Now the kids want me to set up a fish tank for the winter but I think the fish have earned their keep.  I still get mosquito bites but it hasn't been quite as bad.  We also have always had bats and barn swallows around.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Jacob Sheep
Creston, OH
Message: 1