[Jacob-list] Lamb death

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 5 15:57:13 EDT 2005

>I posted awhile back and asked if anyone had any idea why my lamb was
getting nosebleeds. I received many helpful
I treated her with Ivermec and since had had no bleeding. Well, >she died
tonight. I feel awful.
======
Sheri, sorry you lost your first lamb.  I still have my first lamb, she's 8
years old now, so I know how special they are.  I agree with the others in
recommending the lamb be autopsied.  I think you did the right thing in
treating her.  Perhaps the bloody nose was from an injury.  From what I
have read, this is a very bad year for bots and worms.  One lady in Oregon
lost two 5-month-old lambs from worms last week.  The lamb was autopsied
and they found a heavy worm load, heaviest they have ever seen.  They found
cocci, large & small strongyles (sp?), and one of the haemo varieties.  I
just finished giving my 5-month old lambs a dose of Ivomec, just to be on
the safe side.  The sheep also have snotty noses which might indicate bots.
I usually treat twice, once in the spring and other in Oct.
Cathy Partridge
Moscow, Idaho