[Jacob-list] lamb death

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 10:40:14 EDT 2005

Here in NC, we have labs where we can take deceased
livestock for necropsy (animal autospy). I've done it
before to learn why we were losing animals. Had a very
bad year with barber pole (haemonchus) worms several
years ago. I'm sure they must have them in every
state. You might call your vet and ask.

I would suspect since the lamb had nosebleeds, there
was some type of latent problem, or the lamb butted
something and had a head injury.

It's never easy to lose an animal.  If at all
possible, I would suggest getting a necropsy done if
you can. That will give you answers as to why the lamb
died, if you need to do something different, and
basically peace of mind -- you know why it happened
and, if needed, take steps to prevent future losses.

Joy

Joyce M. Thomas
Son Rise Farm & Rabbitry, Creedmoor NC
Hand spun yarns, custom knit & triloom woven items
www.shepherdofspots.com