[Jacob-list] another opinion

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Mon Aug 1 19:32:34 EDT 2005

Hi, All,

Just want to let everyone know that all I've ever used is electronetting, with great success.  If sheep are raised on electronetting, at least in my experience here, they are fine.  They come out of the jugs at 3 days old, Mama takes them over to be shocked, and they never go near the fence again.  I've had rams new to netting on the farm, who get stuck a couple of times.  But they can't hang themselves on it, because it just comes down.  I've had rams hang themselves on rigid metal panels, on wooden panels, on a ladder...but never on electronetting.  They just get tangled, and wait for me to come rescue them.  With all their wool, they really don't get much shock, unless through some weird quirk of fate, they get it in their mouths.  And with the new chargers, which pulse, and are NOT very strong current, just enough to discourage predators, I've had geese get stuck, with no discernable damage as soon as they are set free.  In ten years, I've had maybe three rams get caught three times each, one goose get caught, and one lamb who was crippled get caught.  Casualties, only the crippled lamb, who was too weak to begin with: she fell into the netting and wasn't noticed by my husband who was sheep sitting, and was there for 3 days, before I got home and found her almost dead.  She finally succumbed to flystrike...I wouldn't use anything else but electronetting.  So, there you go: each person has to decide for him/her self what is best for their sheep and their situation.  Around here, people with woven wire and one strand of electric often have coyotes getting through and eating their sheep.  No one I know with electronetting has ever had a coyote or any other predator break through.  I know a guy who surrounds his hives with electronetting and it keeps the bears out!